Azimuth

Walking Horizontally -- Living Vertically


About the name Azimuth
Dan's Updates
Dan Meyers Blogger Profile
Home Page

July 27, 2005

Trim My Heart

Otavalo, Ecuador

Last night, I was sitting in front of the fire place with my guitar trying to write a song, and I looked down at the coffee table at the unlit candle that was sitting there. It was cold and hard, and the wick slightly buried in its own wax. I was going to need to trim it and do some minor surgery on it for it to be lit once again and burn bright.

My mind reflected immediately to my own heart at times when it is left unattended, when I haven’t been in prayer and in God’s Word. At those times, I feel my darkest; I feel broken, cold, and hard. I am buried in my own selfishness and flesh, and nothing but the flame of God’s forgiveness and grace can burn that away.

Does your heart need trimming like the wick of a candle needs to be trimmed? Have you left your life unattended by the means of God’s Grace? If so, there is probably struggle, pain, and scars buried in the selfishness of your heart. God can heal you and begin to melt those things away. Often, scars will remain, but one day, the Bible promises to those whose faith is in Jesus that “When He appears, we will be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is!” I John 3:2,3

I pray that the lyrics of this song will both challenge and encourage you this day. It is the daily cry of my soul to my Father to Trim My Heart.

Trim My Heart

Like a candle on the table
That no longer holds a flame,
The heart left unattended
Is covered up with shame.
Nothing but a fire can bring it back again
To burn away the selfishness and sin.

chorus
Like You trim a candle, Trim My Heart
Where it’s dark and broken,
Where it’s cold and hard.
With the flame of forgiveness
Melting all the scars.
My light shines brighter,
when You Trim My Heart.

The Word of God a fire
Shining light so I can see
The Father’s hand of mercy
Cutting deep inside of me.
Through the pain and struggle He never lets me be.
He lifts me from my self and sets me free.

bridge
I know my God is faithful In the dark when I’m alone
When my candle flickers, His Word will guide me home.

written by Dan Meyers
Pilgrim Road Music ©2005 ASCAP

10 Comments:

Blogger strange-theology said...

Dan, I notice that when I burn a candle in my house on a surface that is uneven, often the wick gets buried in the wax. This is that solid foundation that we talked about. We need that grounded persepective on Christian doctrine and theology to keep us from burning unevenly and become buried by our own selfishness & pride.

Matthew 12:20 (ESV)
a bruised reed he will not break,
and a smoldering wick he will not quench,

I enjoyed your words here Dan and I thought that very insightful for you to look at your surroundings and be mindful of God speaking to you. Spurgeon said, “…always be mindful of the world around you. Nature is always ready to teach you a lesson concerning God.”

Lastly, it is so true that only forgiveness and grace can unbury us from being cold and hard in our walks with God. I hope God has refreshed you and unburied your creativity for song and praise. It was there all along.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your blog and I figured you'd be interested in advancing your life a bit, call us at 1-206-339-5106. No tests, books or exams, easiest way to get a Bachelors, Masters, MBA, Doctorate or Ph.D in almost any field.

Totally confidential, open 24 hours a day.

Hope to hear from you soon!

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Psalms 97:5 ESV
(5) The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth.

Dan,
It seemed for a while as I got lost in the sea of my own selfishness and pride that my candle would not burn it. Sometimes it takes much work to get a candle to burn again once thw wick has been lost. It might require digging a little deeper or even cutting the cold wax. It seemed to be a painful experience, spiritually. Part of the candle must be melted before the wick can be found again. Recently, I guess you could say I let my candle burn out. I would read the Word but it had lots its savor and joy because the sin in my mind was burying the truth. God had to bring me to my knees in humiliation in order that I might once again have a heart that melts at the words of God. I melt in the presence of our Lord ready to be molded.
Isaiah 64:7-8 ESV
(7) There is no one who calls upon your name, who rouses himself to take hold of you; for you have hidden your face from us, and have made us melt in the hand of our iniquities.
(8) But now, O LORD, you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand.

7:54 PM  
Blogger mattharmless said...

Excellent Song!

Can't wait to hear it.

12:08 PM  
Blogger crawlsakchristian said...

Wow! Funny how after a recent dry spell, I felt drawn to read your blog again, and it was just what I needed to hear. My heart has needed a lot of work this semester. God is using you to work on my heart - thanks.

I can't wait to hear your song, either.

2:40 PM  
Blogger leanorderickson3037 said...

Make no mistake: Our mission at Tip Top Equities is to sift through the thousands of underperforming companies out there to find the golden needle in the haystack. A stock worthy of your investment. A stock with the potential for big returns. More often than not, the stocks we profile show a significant increase in stock price, sometimes in days, not months or years. We have come across what we feel is one of those rare deals that the public has not heard about yet. Read on to find out more.

Nano Superlattice Technology Inc. (OTCBB Symbol: NSLT) is a nanotechnology company engaged in the coating of tools and components with nano structured PVD coatings for high-tech industries.

Nano utilizes Arc Bond Sputtering and Superlattice technology to apply multi-layers of super-hard elemental coatings on an array of precision products to achieve a variety of physical properties. The application of the coating on industrial products is designed to change their physical properties, improving a product's durability, resistance, chemical and physical characteristics as well as performance. Nano's super-hard alloy coating materials were especially developed for printed circuit board drills in response to special market requirements

The cutting of circuit boards causes severe wear on the cutting edge of drills and routers. With the increased miniaturization of personal electronics devices the dimensions of holes and cut aways are currently less than 0.2 mm. Nano coats tools with an ultra thin coating (only a few nanometers in thickness) of nitrides which can have a hardness of up to half that of diamond. This has proven to increase tool life by almost ten times. Nano plans to continue research and development into these techniques due to the vast application range for this type of nanotechnology

We believe that Nano is a company on the move. With today�s steady move towards miniaturization we feel that Nano is a company with the right product at the right time. It is our opinion that an investment in Nano will produce great returns for our readers.

Online Stock trading, in the New York Stock Exchange, and Toronto Stock Exchange, or any other stock market requires many hours of stock research. Always consult a stock broker for stock prices of penny stocks, and always seek proper free stock advice, as well as read a stock chart. This is not encouragement to buy stock, but merely a possible hot stock pick. Get a live stock market quote, before making a stock investment or participating in the stock market game or buying or selling a stock option.

3:35 AM  
Blogger lewiswillis3676 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

3:18 PM  
Blogger crawlsakchristian said...

Dan, I was wondering - Do you ever come to Colorado? Check out my blog - I added something and thought you might be interested. There's a picture or two, and you might recognize the guys.

5:00 PM  
Blogger msqd265rg said...

Get any Desired College Degree, In less then 2 weeks.

Call this number now 24 hours a day 7 days a week (413) 208-3069

Get these Degrees NOW!!!

"BA", "BSc", "MA", "MSc", "MBA", "PHD",

Get everything within 2 weeks.
100% verifiable, this is a real deal

Act now you owe it to your future.

(413) 208-3069 call now 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

7:09 AM  
Blogger ymlg9njqn60vzpt said...

hey, I just got a free $500.00 Gift Card. you can redeem yours at Abercrombie & Fitch All you have to do to get yours is Click Here to get a $500 free gift card for your backtoschool wardrobe

4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home