Azimuth

Walking Horizontally -- Living Vertically


About the name Azimuth
Dan's Updates
Dan Meyers Blogger Profile
Home Page

November 20, 2004

Tiles

Heidelberg, Germany

“I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.” ~Philippians 4:11b, 13


I had the opportunity some time ago to visit the Sistine Chapel in The Vatican City inside Rome. Michelangelo’s amazing work is displayed across the ceiling and droves of visitors enter the chapel’s doors every year to gaze upward at this marvelous wonder only later to leave in desperate need of a chiropractor.

But I had determined years before that I would take a significant amount of time to look upon the artistic tiling of the chapel floor. Think of it – unknown, unrecognized, yet very talented artisans spent hours upon hours on their knees laying these tiles in beautiful patterns. There was incredible thought and creativity put into their work and incredible skill only to have millions walk upon it and never notice while gazing at the “greater” and “more significant” work above.

I began to wonder what kind of tile I would like to be if in fact that was my purpose for existence. The Sistine Chapel might be nice for setting – but not so nice in the fact that I would not only be stepped on by disinterested patrons – but completely ignored! But perhaps worst of all would be a tile on a dirty bathroom floor, or perhaps in a dark closet or a forgotten room. No – I would rather be a tile in a ballroom where there is music and dancing and celebration, or even better, a tile at the foot of a king’s throne where knights are given honor and kings are crowned; where laws are decreed and mercy is granted.

But tiles are a curious thing. Regardless of their shape, size, or placement, a tile’s function is the same: to provide a hard, secure surface in order to provide a strong support for all who enter the space. If even one tile is missing in any place, be it a closet or the finest of rooms, it is missed, and the owner quickly seeks to replace that tile.

And so it is in our lives as men and women created in God’s image. We are made to glorify God by our very existence and enjoy His presence. God places us in different places – some more prominent than others, but our purpose is still the same, and it is never diminished. If I were lifted from the closet floor ad placed in a royal throne room, my purpose has not changed nor has the King’s delight in me! Even so, if the King chooses to take me from my place of comfort and place me in a darker corner, it is for His delight and for His purpose and our purpose is still the same – His Glory!

Rejoice in the place God has placed you, and be content with little or with much!

“My God will supply all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be Glory for ever and ever. Amen.” – Philippians 4:19, 20

10 Comments:

Blogger lawtondickerson said...

Thanks for coming. The "mini concert" at small group was uplifting. Bigger concert at the Villiage Pavillion even better. God speed on your journey home.
Linda Dickerson

3:25 AM  
Blogger Dan Meyers said...

Thanks - I enjoyed my time in Heidelberg and with all of you. Thanks for dropping in on the blog! God Bless!

3:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great thought...to be a tile in the Sistine Chapel. God is definitely good in being the One who chooses to place us where He will for His glory!!!

Thanks for reminding me.

Jeff Dye

12:21 PM  
Blogger Bob, Suzanne and Travis said...

Dan,
We cetainly enjoyed and were Blessed by having you here in Germany! Godspeed on your return home and enjoy a much earned rest.
In His Grip,
Bob, Suzanne and Travis Isaac

1:23 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Dan,
Isn't it wonderful that insights from the other side of the world can offer hope and encouragement in our mundane lives. Melissa and I give thanks for you always. We miss you and look forward to your return.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Dan Meyers said...

Lee, I am coming home next week bro - Let's get together - and yeah - by the way - I need some Tuckaway Time in Gap Creek! - Dan

10:10 AM  
Blogger mattharmless said...

Good thoughts... Looking forward to seeing you!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

I mentioned this insight to a friend, who sort of laughed it off and replied, "You go to the Sistine Chapel for the ceiling, not the floor." Maybe that indicates how much smaller we have to be in Christ for him to shine through us to non-believers. Great blog & website, good luck friend!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Quill said...

I enjoyed your observations of the artistry of the tiles. Although I am not a Christian, it is a wonderful reminder that the good works of the little man may go un-noticed by most, but not by all. As one of the little unknown artisans who has left long lasting architectural marks in the world it is greatly appreciated. I guess God works in mysterious ways afterall, eh?

3:00 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Excellent blog. It was so great and I bet I will
go back to it! I get to look online for blogs like
yours is a blessing.
Hey son, you need to check out my blog!

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home